Dozens of Gaza-bound flotilla activists detained by Israel have launched a hunger strike in protest of their abduction and detention conditions, as the last remaining vessel attempting to reach Gaza was intercepted in international waters.
At least 87 activists from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla currently held by Israel have gone on hunger strike in protest of their abduction and detention conditions, as well as in solidarity with thousands of Palestinian detainees.
The movement, which aims to challenge Israel's blockade on Gaza and deliver symbolic humanitarian aid to the besieged enclave, announced the move in a statement on X late on Tuesday.
The Global Sumud Flotilla said the activists had begun the strike "in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons".
"We demand all hostages of the Israeli regime to be released," the group added, while urging supporters to pressure governments "to speak out against this act of piracy".
The protest came after Israeli forces intercepted the Lina al-Nabulsi, the final remaining vessel sailing towards Gaza, and detained six activists onboard.
The ship was the last of more than 50 vessels that departed from the Turkish port city of Marmaris last week as part of the flotilla campaign.
Israeli forces began intercepting and seizing the boats in international waters off the coast of Cyprus on Monday, with organisers accusing Israeli troops of raiding vessels, firing rubber bullets and abducting participants.
At least 428 activists from 44 nationalities taking part in the flotilla have now been abducted by Israel, according to organisers.
Among those detained are 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, a doctor and the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly .
Indonesia's foreign ministry confirmed that nine Indonesian citizens were among those detained and called for the immediate release of all vessels, saying Jakarta would continue using "every diplomatic channel and consular measure".
On Wednesday, Adalah, the Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel, condemned the detentions and confirmed that those seized had been forcibly transferred to the Israeli port city of Ashdod .
"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory against their will," the organisation said.
Adalah added that “the military interception of civilian vessels in international waters, the forced transfer of international citizens into Israeli territory, and the denial of safe passage to deliver humanitarian assistance to a blockade population constitute grave violations of international law”.
The group said its lawyers had been granted access to Ashdod Port to conduct legal consultations aimed at challenging the detentions.
Israel’s foreign ministry confirmed late on Tuesday that around 430 flotilla participants had been transferred to Israeli custody, dismissing the mission as "nothing more than a PR stunt".
Several countries, including Turkiye, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Brazil and Indonesia, condemned the interceptions as violations of international law.
The flotilla campaign has drawn international attention since 2025, with activists including Greta Thunberg joining missions aimed at breaking Israel’s blockade on Gaza amid the enclave’s worsening humanitarian crisis.
Earlier this month, Palestinian-Spanish activist Saif Abu Keshek and Brazilian activist Thiago Avila said they were subjected to repeated abuse and death threats while in Israeli detention.