Lebanon moves closer to opening second international airport


Lebanon this week moved a step closer to opening a second international airport which could likely become a hub for low-cost travel in the country.

On Tuesday, the Ministry of Public Works and Transport announced that Sky Lounge Services had been awarded a contract to operate and invest in the proposed René Mouawad Airport.

The company emerged as the winner from 18 bidders in the tender process.

The airport – often referred to as Qleiaat Airport after a nearby village – is located in the northern governorate of Akkar, around six to seven kilometres from the Syrian border and roughly 25-30 kilometres from Lebanon's second city Tripoli .

It was used for civilian flights during Lebanon’s 1975-1990 civil war before later being converted into a military air base. The airport was renamed in honour of former Lebanese president René Mouawad, who served for only 17 days before being assassinated in November 1989.

Initial reports suggest the airport could serve as a hub for low-cost airlines operating flights to Arab and European destinations, although this has yet to be officially confirmed.

A source told The New Arab that Sky Lounge was expected to reveal further details soon, adding that one of the airport’s main purposes was to attract low-cost carriers.

Large Lebanese diaspora communities across the Gulf and Europe have long complained about high ticket prices and limited competition in Lebanon’s aviation sector, where national carrier Middle East Airlines has historically maintained a monopoly over air travel.

According to local media reports, Sky Lounge is expected to open a temporary passenger terminal within 90 days of the contract being awarded and have the airport ready for flights within that timeframe.

During this period, ground equipment for the terminal building is expected to be secured, while security and operational systems will be installed and prepared. The Ministry of Public Works and Transport is also responsible for maintenance work on the highway leading to the airport, as well as surrounding infrastructure upgrades.

The ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the launch of the tender marked "a pivotal milestone on the path toward reopening Lebanon’s second civilian airport after decades of waiting."

It added that reopening the airport was "not merely an investment project, but a strategic national step aimed at strengthening air transport infrastructure, easing pressure on Beirut’s Rafic Hariri International Airport, and expanding the operational capacity of Lebanese civil aviation."

The ministry also described the project as "an economic and developmental driver for northern Lebanon and the Akkar region" which will boost tourism, trade and logistics activity, while creating direct and indirect job opportunities.

Prime Minister Nawaf Salam had pledged to make the project a reality after forming his cabinet last year. Successive governments had also promised to reopen the airport, but to no avail. Some observers have cited the reasons as political.

Salam met on Thursday with Public Works and Transport Minister Fayez Rasamny, Interior Minister Ahmad al-Hajjar, and Airport Security Chief Brigadier General Fadi Kfoury to discuss preparations for reopening the airport as a civilian hub.

Calls to reactivate the airport have intensified in recent years amid growing congestion at Beirut’s International Airport – currently Lebanon’s only civilian airport – which has exceeded its annual capacity, particularly during the summer tourist seasons.

Work to expand and upgrade the Beirut airport is also underway. The New Arab reported in November that plans were being discussed to construct a second terminal there.

Unlike during the 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah, Beirut’s airport has been spared Israeli strikes during the current war on Lebanon . However, concerns remain that Israel could still target the facility under the pretext that it is being used for military purposes.

Published: Modified: Back to Voices